Monday, January 14, 2013
The Price of Reading Blog #2
In the article, "The Price of Reading Is Eternal Vigilance" Anatole Broyard states "most people read badly." He talks about about how at 53 he is just learning "how to read." He talks about how he use to feel as if he had to keep things sterile. How we should "talk back and write in the books." I have always read slowly, I think about what I read and re read it sometimes. I try to make pictures of what is going on.I enjoy taking my time and knowing what I am reading. I have at times felt some books are also "too good for me" or even to grown up for me. I think about the time it takes them to put the book together. I would never write in a book, maybe some sticky notes but never actually write in the book. I guess I feel its disrespectful to write in a book. I see his point though it is my book. I have the right to do as I please, I never really thought about it like that. I have had some heated arguments with some books I have read. I like how he talks about "toying with the Authors" about putting their books on a shelf and not reading them. How he makes the book his own. He states that "A good book has a voice and good reading has a voice too." I really agree with that, I feel they do have voices. I like how he says that "even a bad book can be a moving experience."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment