Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Malcolm X, Literacy Behind Bars Blog #4

          In the article Literacy behind bars, it tells a autobiography that Malcolm X had written. He described how he learned to understand words while he was in jail. He envied this man in jail named Bimbi, he could pick up on any conversation.  X wanted to be able to do the same. He started copying the dictionary word for word, page by page. He eventually copied the whole dictionary. He described how after he copied the dictionary he could understand what books where trying to say and the message they where revealing. I have always wished that I enjoyed reading. It's inspiring how much self controlled that he had to make himself spend so many hours teaching himself how to read and understand what he was reading. To be able to day after day just copy the dictionary is amazing in its self.  For me school was always about fun growing up and not about learning. I only read when I have to for assignments, never do I for the fun of it. If I would of put in a tenth of the effort that  X put in then maybe school wouldn't be so hard for me. Maybe then I would enjoy more what I was doing.

1 comment:

  1. This reading always inspires me, too! And it reminds me that it's all a matter of perspective!

    ReplyDelete